F-8 courts attack: Police seek public help in identifying terrorists

An edited version of this article was first published in The Express Tribune on Mar 6, 2014.

Islamabad – Police have released the sketches of two suicide bombers who blew themselves up inside the F-8 district courts compound in a gun-and-suicide attack on Monday that killed 11 and injured around 30 people.

The sketches, based on accounts of eyewitnesses and people injured in the attack, show the two attackers to be aged in between late-teens and early 20s.

One of the bombers sported a light beard and wore a hat, according to the sketches police released in the early hours of Wednesday. The other attacker had a fuller beard and curly hair.

Police, who are still not sure who the attackers were or why exactly they attacked the courts, have requested the public to provide them any details about the attackers by contacting the following phone numbers: 0300-5000577, 0333-5777444 and 051-9261510. The details of informants will be kept confidential, police said.

Meanwhile, a joint investigation team headed by Senior Superintendent Police Muhammad Rizwan carried on its inquiry in to the deadly incident on Wednesday. The team, which includes officials of civilian and military intelligence agencies, also questioned people close to the victims of the incident in a bid to determine if the attackers were targeting a specific individual.

Police authorities said they are treating the incident as a “terrorist attack” and will investigate it from every angle. But the investigation has not hit upon any helpful leads yet.

“Nothing is clear so far,” one police official said.

Eyewitnesses, police and intelligence reports have also continued to disagree on the details of the attack and the number of attackers involved in the incident.

A senior police official told The Express Tribune that law-enforcement authorities were sticking with only two attackers because they only have concrete evidence on two suicide bombers. The First Information Report (FIR) registered by the Margalla Police Station also mentions only two unidentified assailants.

But eyewitnesses have consistently claimed there were around four to six armed men who launched the brazen attack that claimed 11 lives, including an Additional District and Sessions judge and four lawyers.

Crime scene investigators had also indicated on Monday that the two bombers could have had three to four accomplices who had escaped. Investigators had also believed the attackers moved inside the maze-like alleys inside the compound, which does not have a complete boundary wall, in two parties.

Intelligence reports have also doubted that there were only two armed men and preliminary reports submitted to the interior ministry by the intelligence agencies suggest there were at least three to four attackers altogether.

, , ,

About waqas

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply