Football experts at Espnfc.com counted down to the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil with a list of top 50 players to watch during the competition. I wanted to see how the 32 countries participating in the World Cup are represented on the list, so I created a simple bubble map visualization of the list using CartoDB. Click on, or hover over, the orange bubbles on the map below to view the complete breakdown. The bubbles have been scaled according to each country’s number of players on the list. Direct URL for sharing the visualisation
The following are the important bits of info from the list:
- Germany and defending World Cup champions Spain are tied in top spot with each country having 8 players on the list.
- South American football giants Brazil and Argentina follow with 5 and 4 players on the list respectively.
- Sixteen of the 32 countries participating in the Cup are represented on the list.
- An amazing 33 of the 50 players – or 66% – on the list are from European nations.
- Five South American nations. Two African countries. No Asia!
- Ivorians Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure and Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o are the only African players on the list.
- According to ESPN experts, Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta are the top three footballers for the competition. All of them play for Spanish league clubs (FC Barcelona and Real Madrid).